Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Skyr -- Icelandic Yogurt


One of my New Year's resolutions this year is to eat more dairy. I grew up drinking milk by the carton, but as an adult, my calcium intake is, I fear, woefully inadequate. Having a mother with osteoporosis is a constant reminder that I should increase my calcium and start lifting weights as I certainly do not want any broken hips in my future. More specifically, my resolution is to eat more yogurt. And not those artificially sweetened, artificially colored, artificially flavored "it tastes like banana cream pie" yogurts that they are always advertising on the television. I want real, thick yogurt with natural flavors. I could, like Mireille Guiliano make my own yogurt, but I don't own a yogurt maker (yet). In search of the perfect yogurt, I headed over to my local Whole Foods. Their dairy section featured promising yogurts from all over the globe but the one that caught my eye was Siggi's Icelandic style yogurt, also known as skyr. Ever since, my father visited Iceland this summer, he has been completely obsessed with the country and when I last saw him, he was reading a book entitled "Why Iceland?" when I was home for Christmas. Having sat through multiple discussions of his photographs of Iceland and even a reenactment of the sagas on DVD, I must admit that I now have more than a passing interest in the country so when I saw the Icelandic style skyr, I knew I had to try it. It is a treat. Thick. Creamy. Naturally made from skim milk and full of protein. Interesting flavors like orange ginger and pomegranate passion fruit that are not too sweet or overwhelming.

1 comment:

  1. I'm obsessed with this yogurt now damn you! had the vanilla bean this morning.

    ReplyDelete